There's nothing better than a warm veggie gyro with a cooling tzatziki sauce and some fresh vegetables.
I came over to a fellow veggie friend's house and I happen to have my groceries in my trunk (seriously..it's cold enough here that the food wont go bad). I decided to whip up these bad boys for my friend and I.
Here's what you will need:
- 1 pkg Viana veggie gyros
- 1 small tomato
- 2 large pita breads or 4 small pocket pita breads
- Diced green pepper, to taste. ( I know this isn't normally in gyros..but it gave it a nice twist)
- 1/4 cup diced red onion
- 1/2 cup Ewelina's Tzatziki Sauce (see below)
- Vegetable oil ( for sauté pan)
Ewelina's Tzatziki Sauce:
- 1/2 cup Tofutti brand sour cream
- 1/4 cup diced cucumbers
- 1/2 -2/3 tsp fresh lemon juice
- Pinch of fresh parsley or if you prefer, cilantro or basil flakes
- Dash of garlic salt
What you do:
- Heat up sauté pan on stove with 1 tbsp vegetable oil (any preferred oil works fine). Open package of veggie gyros and heat up in pan. **Make sure the gyros are separated into individual pieces!!**
- Turn heat to medium-low and allow it to heat up inside first.
- In a bowl, mix all of the ingredients for the tzatziki sauce. Also, slice up your tomatoes, red onion, green pepper and any other ingredients you'd like to include, put those to the side.
- After the gyros have been sautéing for a good 5 minutes, turn up the heat to allow them to get crispy. Make sure you keep stirring the faux meat around. This should only take 2-3 minutes.
- Push all of the gyro meat to the side and grab your pita bread. If needed, add a little more oil into the empty half of the pan, and let the pita bread get warm, crispy and a little greasy.
- Take the bread off...add the gyro meat and throw on your toppings.
You don't necessarily have to stuff the pita pockets..I kinda just eat them like tacos.