Thursday, January 31, 2013

Mango Habanero Ranch Chik'n Tacos!

Hello there :)

    So, I was sitting in one of my Chemistry classes and I was starrrrving. ( Cut me some slack, it was a 4 hour lecture, we're not allowed to have any food once we're in lab and all I had was a Gluten free waffle for breakfast.)   I started thinking of what I will make for myself for late lunch/early dinner.

I thought of this.
[picture will go here]





I love spicy food. Sometimes I think I was meant to be someone other than part of a polish culture. (NO ONE in my family like spicy food, but me, I could down a whole bottle of tabasco sauce in one sitting...actually, my mouth is watering as I am thinking about this.)

When I used to eat meat, my FAVORITE sauce flavor from a place called Buffalo Wild Wings was the Mango Habanero sauce. Perfect fusion of flavors.

Well, I had a mango, I had some habanero peppers, and I always have some "fake chicken" in my fridge.

I love the "Lightlife" Chik'n strips brand. I can't find them in many places other than Whole Foods and my Jewel Osco...but I love them because they absorb flavor, they're vegan, low carb AND gluten free. (YAY!)

So, this is what you need:

  • 1 pkg Lightlife Chikn, or any other chicken substitute...or real chicken.
  • 1 ripe mango
  • 6 habanero peppers
  • Corn Torillas
  • Vegan Ranch (I LOVE Organicville Non Dairy Ranch)
  • Any Toppings you like, I used:
    • Cilantro
    • Shredded Lettuce
    • Diced Tomatoes
    • Daiya Pepper Jack havarti

What you need to do:
  • Peel the Mango and chop it up along with your Habanero peppers. Now, before you throw everything in the food processor/blender, put in a little of each at a time. For example, I started off throwing in about 1/2 mango and 2 habanero peppers and it just seemed to sweet to me, plus I needed more. So...just keep adding stuff in til it tastes good! :)
  • Once everything is well blended and slightly "pasty" (if it's not, add some water, you want this to kinda be like a thick marinade) throw in your fake chicken. Stir it around and let it sit in your fridge for however long you want. The longer the better, but I did this for about 30 min.
  • This is a good time to pretty much just set up the rest of your ingredients...chop the tomatos..lettuce..etc. Also, get two skillets ready!
  • Once you take out your chikn, put some oil on your skillet and once it's hot...throw on the chikn ....you can leave SOME marinade..but honestly, I only left about 2 tablespoons of it. Enough flavor will be absorbed.
  • Start sautéing all of that good stuff, keep your skillet on medium-low. You can even keep it covered...it'll just make the flavors absorb even more. Just be sure to stir every now and then!
  • If you don't like regular raw and cold diced onions, then once you are about a minute away from finishing up your sautéing, add onions to your chikn. This way they'll be slightly caramelized. 
  • Turn off the heat, and add in some shopped fresh cilantro.
  • Heat up some oil on your other skillet, very little. This is just going to be used to warm up your corn tortillas. I like to add a little bit of cayenne pepper to the oil, but again, I just like spicy.
  • With tongs, put your corn tortilla into the oil, move it around...remember, you're just warming it up...you could technically even do this in the microwave..but I prefer this. Flip it over...and then move it around again...and throw it on a plate. 
  • Once its on the plate you can pretty much take it from there...add as much of the "chikn" as you want, pour a tiny amount of vegan ranch and add your toppings.
  • You're all done...get creative with your toppings! If you're not a vegan you have even more options! Add some cheese...sour cream..dairy and dairy-like toppings will dull the super spicy stuff if you don't like it. :)

I hope you enjoy this as much as I did!

Picture will be up soon,


Enjoy y'all! 
xoxo Ewelina

Twitter: @linciaax
IG: beautyandthebrussel









No comments:

Post a Comment