Monday, December 15, 2014

Spicy Fiesta Lime Tortilla Chips

'Twas the night before finals, when all through the house, one could hear my stomach rumbling....even a mouse...? Gah, I tried!

Anywho....


Hey guys! So the other night I was studying and was craving something salty and spicy. I had a whole bunch of guacamole but unfortunately no tortilla chips. However, for some reason, I had a huge-family size-grande bag of corn tortillas just chillin' in my fridge. So I went to work.

 You see, I'll use any excuse to excuse myself from studying. If I wasn't such a broke college students and had a lot more food in my fridge, I'd probably prepare myself a five course meal. Unfortunately, the jumbo size bag of flattened white corn frisbees had to do.


Spicy Fiesta Lime Tortilla Chips



Here's what you'll need:
    1/4 teaspoon of the following:
              Lime Juice
              Garlic powder
              Cayenne pepper
              Cumin

    Dash of the following:
               Black pepper
               Salt (or salt to taste)
               Paprika

5 Corn tortillas
2 TBSP Olive Oil


Here's what you do:
       Preheat the oven to 275* F.  In the mean time, pour all of the ingredients EXCEPT for the corn tortillas into a bowl. (Make sure the bowl is pretty big. Big enough to toss around the tortilla trangles.) Mix together well.  Stack up the tortillas and cut in half, and then again across. You can see what I mean by looking at the picture below.
              
                                         

  Once you have them all cut up, throw them into the bowl with the oil, lime juice and spices. Coat well. Let sit for about 10 minutes. Now, I know it's kinda weird to be marinating corn tortillas, but trust me on this. Take out a flat, big baking sheet and EVENLY distribute the chips. They should not be stacked on top of each other. If there isn't enough room, you'll have to do separate baking "trips". Bake for approx. 20 minutes, flipping them halfway through.

 Don't be alarmed if they're soggy when they're done. I promise it's because they're still warm and oily. They'll eventually get crispy.

 Now, I know this isn't some special recipe. It's pretty simple. To me, they were delicious and I hope that you think so too. Tweak the recipe if this is too spicy or not spicy enough. Most importantly, enjoy! It tastes best with guacamole.

Til next time, y'all.

No comments:

Post a Comment